Hardin Valley is a rural neighborhood located on the west side of Knoxville, nestled between Farragut (to the south) and Oak Ridge (to the north). Years ago, Hardin Valley was little more than acres of beautiful farmland and home to Pellissippi Community College, but in recent years, this area of town has been undergoing extensive development. Suburban neighborhoods began cropping up in the 1990s along with apartment complexes located close to the community college. Retail development has been expanding, and property values are skyrocketing. While there are many long-time residents who are open activists against all of this expansion, there is little doubt that Hardin Valley will look very different in the next five to ten years, possibly becoming a new hotspot for shopping and recreation much like Farragut.
While Hardin Valley still boasts a small-town feel (you will need to travel elsewhere to visit the post office or go to a Walmart), it has become home to many new restaurants, and it honestly has all of the amenities one might need. As of now, it is less expensive to live in Hardin Valley than it is to live in Farragut, but it is still close enough to Farragut (a 15-minute drive) that you won’t feel like you’re living “out in the boonies.”
Guide to Hardin Valley in Knoxville
Hardin Valley is home to both popular chain restaurants and small businesses that you won’t find anywhere else.
- Hard Knox Pizza
- Brown Bag
- Maple Street Biscuit Company
- Double Dogs
- Don Gallo Mexican Grill
- Country Burrito Fresh Mex – Knoxville (Located in Bread Box Store)
- Chef’s Asian Cuisine
- Victor’s Taco Shop
- Dickey’s Barbecue Pit
- Stefanos Pizza
- Snappy Tomato
- Firehouse Subs
- Marco’s Pizza
- Tomo Poke Bowl
- Mikata Japanese Grill & Sushi
- Orange Hat Brewing Company
- The Casual Pint
- Nick & J’s Cafe (Lovell Road)
- Corner 16 (Middlebrook, Bob Kirby Road)
It’s hard to drive even a mile down the road without spotting a church in Hardin Valley! This is by no means an exhaustive list. There is little doubt that you will be able to find a church home to suit your family’s needs no matter what denomination or congregation size you’re looking for.
- Providence Church
- Faith Promise
- Fellowship West (currently meeting in the auditorium of Karns High School)
- Citizens Church (currently meeting in the D1 Sports Training Complex)
- Valley Church (meets at Pelissippi State)
- Immanuel Church (meets at Hardin Valley Academy)
- Hardin Valley Church of Christ
- Hardin Valley Free Will Baptist Church
- Marietta Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Despite its recent explosion of development, much of Hardin Valley’s beautiful landscape still remains untouched, waiting for you and your family to explore it!
- Pellissippi Community College You don’t have to be a student at the college to enjoy a sunset walk around their campus duck pond and paved walking trail. A popular spot for families (especially in the summer), this park also hosts a small disc golf course with nine holes.
- Melton Hill Park Boasting two boat ramps and a fishing pier, this park is a gorgeous hidden gem tucked away off of a rural neighborhood road. While the playground has fallen into disrepair, the beach volleyball court and hiking trails are still worth the trip. You’ll be amazed at the stunning “cliffside” views of the Clinch River located right in your own backyard.
- Pet Safe Village Dog Park This park has multiple fenced-in areas (and a paved walking trail that circles a natural pond) that will be fun for both your children and your fur babies.
- Hickory Creek Park Definitely off of the beaten path, this park has youth-sized soccer fields, picnic areas, walking trails, and a little creek that is excellent for fishing.
Gas Stations/Convenience Stores/Grocery Stores
While popular options like Kroger, Ingles, and Publix are just a short drive away, Hardin Valley does have its own quick stops if you don’t want to travel far.
- Food City The only grocery store located in Hardin Valley, this location has a floral department, bakery, hot foods section (with a small dining area), and a pharmacy.
- Exxon Full convenience store with a gas station and a Wendy’s inside
- Weigel’s Large selection of hot food as well as traditional convenience store items and gasoline
- CVS Drug store and pharmacy
- Bread Box Full convenience store with a gas station
You won’t need to leave Hardin Valley to find everything that you need to stay well!
- Gallian Medical Group
- Summit Medical Group (Internal Medicine)
- Pillar Primary Care
- Pediatric Clinic Hardin Valley/Karns
- University of Tennessee Medical Center: Hardin Valley
- East Tennessee Children’s Hospital: Hardin Valley Pediatrics
- Hardin Valley Family Dentistry
- Blue Dog Family Dentistry
- Law Family Dentistry
- Knoxville Dental Center
- Hardin Valley Pediatric Dentistry
- East Tennessee Spine and Sport Physical Therapy
- Butler Animal Clinic
- Butler Veterinary Services
Hardin Valley boasts an excellent school district as well as a community college (students who earn grades to qualify for the Tennessee Promise program can attend two years for free). It also has a brand new daycare center close to all four school campuses!
- Hardin Valley Elementary School
- Hardin Valley Middle School
- Hardin Valley Academy (high school)
- Little Hawks Early Learning Center
- Pellissippi State Community College
- Primrose School of Hardin Valley
- The Goddard School Knoxville (Hardin Valley)
From farm-fresh produce to athletics to facials, you’ll find everything you need close to home in Hardin Valley!
- Farmer’s Market
- Premier Martial Arts
- D1 Training Facility
- Anytime Fitness Center
- Pure Luxe Salon, Spa, and Medspa
- Tune Up: The Manly Salon
- Messi Heads Salon
- ROC*COCO Salon
- Elder’s Ace Hardware/Elder’s Mercantile
- Hardin Valley Body Shop
- Matlock Tire
- Pony Party (horse farm event venue)