As parents we often find ourselves over-worked, over-booked, over-tired, and over-scheduled. The last thing we need is to add yet another thing to our calendar, right? Wrong! I am here to tell you that it is time to plan a date night.
I recently wrote about why we should date our children but I think it’s high time we start dating our spouses too! If you, like us, have gotten lost in the chaos of parenting young children, it is time to get back to where you once were. Time to focus on your marriage, to focus on your “us.” Taking time out for the two of you will help you rejuvenate, relax, and reconnect. You will strengthen your relationship and bolster the core upon which your family depends.
If the thought of planning or scheduling yet another moment on your calendar has you reeling and running for the comfort of your flannel pajamas, don’t fret. Knoxville abounds with awesome date opportunities to suit whatever your interest and budget.
(If you don’t live in K-Town, don’t worry! I’m sure your city has many similar opportunities. Just use these ideas as a launching pad for your epic date night!)
For the Adventurous:
My husband and I personally like to channel our inner youth and do things we can’t easily do with our young children in tow. If you are up for a more playful date, consider these options:
- White Water Rafting – There are myriad options and you can often find great deals on Groupon. Choose between the Ocoee River or the Big Pigeon River.
- Rock Climbing – Choose between indoor our outdoor adventures.
- Tubing – take a relaxing float down the river together in an inner tube.
- Navitat – Ziplining and outdoor ropes course. Scheduled to re-open soon.
- Hiking – Try some of the more difficult trails that you wouldn’t want to do with kids on your back.
- Biking – While you can easily bike with kids, it is often more enjoyable without them. Or try some of the mountain biking trails in the area.
- Swimming – Go explore one of the amazing swimming holes!
- Golf – Play the back 9 together at any number of local courses, or challenge one another to an intense round of Putt Putt. (Of course if you head into Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg you will have your pick!)
- Go-carts – In Pigeon Forge, you will find a million different options. You can also hit the speedway more locally.
- Bowling – See who the true King Pin is at the local bowling alley. They often have specials including $1 lanes on Sunday nights!
- DEFY Knoxville– Who says this is just for kids? Get out there and jump around! Go crazy and go on dodgeball night!
For the Culture Seekers:
- First Fridays – The first Friday of every month, Downtown Knoxville’s art galleries host a spectacular event filled with free wine tastings, appetizers, art exhibits, and live music. Parking is even free in the garages!
- See a Performance at the Tennessee Theater, Bijou Theater, Clarence Brown Theater, or The Square Room
- Visit a museum.
- Tickle your funny bone at a comedy show.
- Kick Back at a Festival – While most are family friendly, sometimes the stress of the crowds combined with little kids is just too much. Knoxville is filled with fabulous festivals! Spring/Summer Festivals, Fall Fests, and Year-Round TN Festivals. Don’t forget, this may be our last Boomsday!
- Cheer on UT – (Yes, it is a cultural experience!) Choose your sport of choice here!
- Learn Together – Check out these great non-credit classes at UT.
- Pack a picnic and enjoy an outdoor concert.
For the Hopeless Romantics:
- Walk along the waterfront or one of the city’s greenways.
- Share a sip at a local wine bar such as Drink.
- Stroll through the Knoxville Botanical Gardens or UT Gardens.
- Have drinks at the Peter Kern Library in the St. Oliver Hotel.
- Channel your inner Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire with ballroom dancing lessons.
- Unwind with a yoga class.
- Tour the Shakolad Chocolate Factory
- Cruise down the Tennessee River on a classic riverboat.
For the Creative Cats:
- Channel your inner artist while sipping wine at Painting with a Twist where they occasionally offer date night in which your two canvases combine to create one cohesive masterpiece.
- Paint your own pottery at Liza Moz or fire up your own at Mighty Mud.
- Work as a team, solve puzzles, and put your minds together to escape a locked room at Breakout Knoxville, Escape Game, or Which Way Out.
For The Foodies:
Knoxville abounds with awesome restaurants. Romantic, rustic, fancy, or farm fresh, check out some of these KMB contributor favorites!
- Dinner: Blue Coast, Nama Sushi Bar, Bonefish Grill, Foothills Milling Company, Lakeside Tavern, Seasons Innovative Bar and Grille, Knox Mason, Bistro By the Tracks, Chez Guevara, Stock and Barrel, Cru Bistro, Sweet P’s
Also, an awesome tip from contributor Lisa: Knox Public House shares pop up restaurants via their FB page!