The pools have officially closed and there’s FINALLY a chill in the air. We’ve packed up the summer clothes and bought the pumpkin spice creamer. For many, the first sniff of fall signals haunted houses, corn mazes and turkey dinners. For me it means time to get back into my stories. I’m talking Phil and Claire, Jack and Rebecca, Meredith and (enter interest of the week…but so glad Josh Radner is staying around!!), and the list goes on.
I’m not certain that we’ll ever get back to the type of quality programming of our youth. There are very few characters who will fill the Dr. Mark Greene-sized hole in my heart. But, I gotta say – the networks are really stepping up their game lately.
Without the caveat that I’m a working mom-of-two who really does have a life, the following list might lead you to believe I’m some sort of hermit with a wart and sensitive eyesight. I do leave my home, have an active social life AND love kicking back and losing myself in a TV show (here’s where I’d put that emoji of the girl with one hand up by her ear to reinforce that I’m really ACTUALLY cool – ha!).
All those things aside, here’s what I love right now on the tube:
- This is Us: Hands. Down. I know this is a polarizing show. I’m on the polar end with the other obsessed people. One of my favorite authors is Jodi Picoult, and the way that this show unfolds really reminds me of her books. I’m a sucker for a twist and the brilliance of that first episode hooked me right away (I’m also not one of those people who paid enough attention to all those clues in the first 59 minutes, so minute number 60 really hit me!).
- Grey’s Anatomy: I think I’m one of the last 30 or so people who are still hanging in there with Meredith and the Grey Sloan Memorial gang. How can you turn your back on a 13-year relationship?
- Law and Order SVU: Ripped from the headlines, and another show that I can’t quit. There’s a part of me that wonders if I won’t still be watching Mariska solve crimes when I’m in the old folks’ home. The only thing that could improve this one is if Elliott were to come back.
- Million Little Things: Another amazing ensemble. Love the story line and the cast is really great. Any show with Jack Berger is a show I’ll watch! I have my suspicions about some of the loose ends, already, and I think the subject of depression and suicide is so important to be talking about right now.
- New Amsterdam: As you can tell by this list, and my comments above, I could watch legal and medical dramas all day long. I love the story lines and like to live vicariously through anyone who isn’t squeamish around needles, blood and other yucky bodily fluids.
- Manifest: Even though I’m listing this on my “shows I’m loving right now,” I’m not 1,000% sold on it quite yet. I’m a big fan of the concept, and since I didn’t watch Lost – I think we might end up in purgatory in some way, ha ha – I don’t feel like I’ve already seen this show before.
- Real Housewives of (Pick a City, Any City): After watching some of the heavy stuff above, I need some good old fashioned trash TV. I’m a particular fan of New York, New Jersey and Beverly Hills. Can’t get into Atlanta for some reason and I’m trying to give Dallas a second chance. I know. It’s a sickness.