Growing up on a farm and a pretty rural community, I grew up with appreciation for livestock and the whole process of how things go from farm to table. Our county was one that was fully involved with 4-H competitions, shows, and projects. So many of our neighbors had farms that helped put food on their table as well as feed their local community.
When reading up on Organic Valley I soon realized they were very different from other companies and very similar to the neighbors I grew up in my backyard. They are a cooperative owned by organic farmers who have a passion for doing what’s right for people and animals.
When using and choosing Organic Valley, you are supporting your neighbors. In return, their farmers support you back with the best quality food and products. Keeping food close to home makes a difference on so many levels.
This post is brought to you by our partners Organic Valley.
In the southeast, they have over 52 local organic farmers. From central Florida to Virginia and across the Appalachians to Tennessee, the Organic Valley cows enjoy warm weather, longer growing seasons and pastures that grow lush on local organic farms.
A few things you should know about Organic Valley:
- All of the Organic Valley milk, butter, cheese, yogurt and other dairy products you love are produced from grass-fed cows who spend as much time as possible on pasture, eating grass and doing the things cows like to do. All that extra care and work translates into award-winning, delicious, nutritious milk.
- In addition to being pasture-raised and meeting or exceeding all USDA Organic standards, Organic Valley Grassmilk dairy comes from 100% grass-fed cows, meaning their diet comes from a diverse blend of grasses, forbs, herbs and broadleaf pasture plants. No grains!
- Benefit of a nutrient rich diet: Since Organic Valley Farm cows spend more time outside, they get a nutrient-rich and diverse diet with a wide variety of plants and grasses. It’s like a salad bar for cows! As parents, we know a healthy diet is a critical part of helping kids grow and feel their best.
- Benefits of play: Organic Valley farmers work hard to create an environment where animals can freely express their natural behaviors – like grazing, roaming, and playing on pasture. As parents we know the benefits of play help children learn, grow, and thrive.
- Benefits of TLC. As a cooperative made up of small family farms, that means they keep their herds small, which allows for a lot of TLC. Their farmers care deeply about the care of their cows and know their personalities and quirks. Therefore, it’s not uncommon for Organic Valley farmers to name their cows and call them by name, just like kids name their pets. As a child who grew up around herds of cows, we definitely had favorites in the herd that we gave pet names!
Want to read more about regional local Organic Valley farm owners? Read about their story and find out why they love being a part of this business and use this store locator to find products at a store near you!
Man is it hot outside! Did you know you can make a good milkshake with no ice cream with products from Organic Valley?Check out this recipe below to make a yummy shake that the whole family will enjoy!
This recipe was developed by Nicki Sizemore and originally appeared on OrganicValley.com.
This easy chocolate milkshake gets a double dose of chocolate flavor from Organic Valley Low-fat Chocolate Milk and cocoa powder. A frozen banana thickens the shake and adds natural sweetness without the need for additional sugar. (Note: You’ll need to freeze a banana before beginning—a great use for those spotty bananas! Anyone else have bananas going bad in your house? This is the perfect solution!)
- 1 cup of ice
- 3 tablespoons of Organic Valley Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tbsp. cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- Pinch salt
- 2 scoops Simply Tera’s Organic Dark Chocolate Whey Protein Powder or Plain Unsweetened (optional)
- 1 cup Organic Valley Lowfat Chocolate Milk
- 1 large banana, peeled and frozen
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Whipped cream and chocolate shavings, for serving (optional)