The holidays are upon us, and ’tis the season for gift giving! As you’re flipping through the Amazon Holiday Toy Book or browsing the Target toy aisle, I challenge you to think outside of the box (literally!) this holiday season. While children love toys, puzzles, and anything that makes loud noises, I challenge you to give the gift of lasting memories instead of tangible gifts.
Gifting travel experiences provides more than any toy can offer: relaxation (if you’re lucky), unforgettable memories exploring new places as a family, and uninterrupted bonding time.
When looking for airfare out of McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS), a few specific destinations come to my mind that would make great ‘gifts’ for children:
- Orlando: I love watching the videos where parents surprise their kids with trips to Disney World, especially when they’re leaving that very day. We recently took my son to Disney World for the first time and will definitely be back!
- New York: Experiencing the holiday season in New York City would be magical, especially with experiences like visiting Macy’s Santaland and the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree.
- Denver: Whenever I think of Denver, I think of snowy mountains, but Denver is a great place to visit year-round.
- Anywhere in Florida: Our family has the best memories from the beach! Whether it’s searching for shells, riding the waves, or looking for wildlife, the beach offers memories that will last a lifetime and is a great place to start lifelong traditions.
No matter where you choose to travel (TYS has 25+ nonstop destinations to choose from), if you’re planning to take a trip during the holiday season, remember that it’s the busiest travel time of the year!
Quick TYS travel tips:
- Arrive at the airport at least two hours before your flight.
- Check your flight’s status before getting to the airport (download your airline’s mobile app).
- Check TSA’s website for a list of prohibited items.
- With more people, luggage, and cars at the airport, be patient.
- Enjoy your trip and make the memories!