Is there anything better than sitting around a bonfire on a clear summer night, lightening bugs twinkling in the air, your family’s laughter echoing in your ears and a warm, gooey, chocolatey s’mores sticking to your fingertips?
I don’t know about you, but this sounds like heaven to me. Frequent fire nights are a staple in my household in the summer months, sometimes with friends and family, and sometimes just the four of us. One thing I can assure you of if you join us around a bonfire is that there will be s’mores. I have a love affair with the popular confection. In fact, I even have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to just s’mores! The fact that you can make s’mores with such simple ingredients that give such a yummy outcome is probably one of the reasons I am a S’moresaholic.
Over the years, I have played around with the traditional ways of making s’mores and have come up with some crowd-pleasing variations. I have also experimented with different dessert recipes based off of s’mores and have found the ones I am sharing below to be some of my favorites…you don’t necessarily need a campfire to enjoy the deliciousness of this favorite summer treat!
4 whole graham crackers
4 pieces of chocolate (such as Hershey’s)
- Break all graham crackers in half so you have 8 squares.
- Place one chocolate on 4 graham squares.
- Place your marshmallow on a skewer or a marshmallow roasting stick.
- Roast over an open flame or grill until your marshmallow is toasted to your preference.
- Transfer your marshmallow onto the graham cracker with the chocolate and then top with a second graham cracker square.
You could use an air fryer if you aren’t in the mood to make a fire. Just put one graham cracker square with one marshmallow and then place into air fryer marshmallow side up and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on 390F degrees. When the marshmallow is golden, remove from air fryer and top with a piece of chocolate and another graham cracker square and voilà! You now have an air fried s’more!
Here are some variations on the OG S’more I have tried in the past!:
- Use a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup instead of the Hershey’s chocolate
- Swap out the chocolate and spread some Nutella on the graham crackers
- Add strawberries to the original s’more recipe
- Instead of graham crackers, use Keebler Fudge Stripe Cookies
- Make an Elvis S’more! Omit the chocolate from the OG S’more and instead add banana slices and peanut butter
The possibilities are endless, so get creative!
As I mentioned before, I have an entire Pinterest board which solely consists of everything s’mores. I am sharing two of my family’s favorite ones below!
Golden Grahams S’Mores Bars
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 ½ cups milk chocolate chips
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 7 cups Golden Grahams
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Butter/grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Add 5 cups marshmallows, chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup to a large sauce pan.
- Melt the mixture together over low heat while gently stirring with a rubber spatula.
- Once melted, remove from the heat and immediately stir in the cereal and the remaining cup of marshmallows. It will be very sticky.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and flatten down using the back of your spatula (if you lightly grease the spatula, it helps).
- Allow to harden at room temperature for 60 minutes before cutting into squares.
Easy S’MORE Dip
- 1 ½ cups of chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons milk of your choice (2%, skim, almond, oat, etc.)
- 5 ¼ cups of mini marshmallows (you could do a little more than this if desired)
- Graham crackers
- Pour the chocolate chips into a medium-sized sauce pan.
- Add 3 tablespoons of milk and 1 ¼ cups of the marshmallows.
- Heat the ingredients over medium high heat, stirring constantly; they will melt down after a couple minutes.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into a 9-inch pie dish, smoothing it out nicely over the bottom of the dish
- Sprinkle the remaining 4 cups of marshmallows onto the chocolate.
- Set your oven to broil and place the pie plate into the over. Allow the marshmallows to get nice and toasty. This should only take a couple of minutes so be sure to watch it carefully.
- Grab some graham crackers and dig in!
There are tons and tons of s’mores recipes if you want to try out some other ways to enjoy this summer favorite dessert.