Here are a few tips that are tried and true favorites:
- Don’t forget your lips. Since the sun is very drying, it’s important to use a lip balm with SPF 15 to SPF 30. Don’t forget to reapply. My lips began to be more prone to burning after the birth of my children. One of my favorite lip sunscreens is Sugar Lip Balm SPF 15.
- Cool off with a mist. I am a huge fan of face mists to blend and set makeup. It’s also perfect after a day in the sun or to add a bit of moisture when out and about. A favorite is Avene Thermal Face Mist. Avene products are a French drugstore staple and are becoming more common in US drug stores. They are amazing!
- Wear a hat. Wide brim hats are perfect for covering your full face.
- Exfoliate dead skin. Glowing skin in the summer is a must with dresses and shorts. Try exfoliating while your skin is dry before showering for the best exfoliation. Finish with a rich body cream or body oil. Don’t overdo exfoliating in the summer and be sure to use a good sunscreen. A favorite exfoliant is KP Bump Eraser and body oil is Nuxe.
- Pick up a good sunscreen. Sunscreen should be worn everyday during the summer. There are lots of good options! Some even do double duty for the face with tinted moisturizer. A couple of my favorites are by Avene and Super Goop Glow Screen. They don’t clog pores and last!
- Don’t forget your eyes! Fragile skin around the eyes is prone to damage during the summer. Use a light wrinkle fighting cream to help.
- Lighten up on products. Be sure to switch over to oil free and make sure you are using non-comedogenic products (products that won’t clog your pores).
In addition to having a good skin care regimen, there is nothing more important than being adequately hydrated. So in the summer, be sure to have plenty of water on hand at all times. Throw in some fruit to keep water interesting. Be sure to eat lots of fruits and veggies with high water content.